- Tragically one loss of life occurred in Q4 2018
- Total PGM production (expressed as 5E+Au metal in concentrate) of 1,256,900 ounces, increased 3% (Q4 2017: 1,220,000 ounces), due to improved operational performances particularly at Unki and the JV portfolio
- Own managed mines PGM production marginally decreased to 535,600 ounces, down 2% as lower production at Mogalakwena (due to planned reduction in grade) and Amandelbult (due to the impact of a tragic fatality) was partially offset by a strong performance from Unki and the inclusion of Mototolo as own mined production
- Joint venture PGM production (mined and purchase of concentrate) had a strong performance, increasing 6% to 281,600 ounces due to productivity improvements
- Purchase of PGM concentrate from third parties increased by 32% to 439,700 ounces due to production purchased from Union mine and inclusion of all material from BRPM following its sale
- Refined PGM production was strong, increasing by 5% to 1,528,200 ounces due to partially refining the build-up of work-in-progress inventory following scheduled smelter rebuilds and maintenance earlier in 2018, and the performance was up against a strong comparative quarter in Q4 2017 when additional work-in-progress inventory was processed following the Waterval smelter run-out
- PGM sales volumes were flat at 1,507,200 ounces
REVIEW OF THE QUARTER
Anglo American Platinum tragically had one loss of life in Q4 2018. Mr Emmanual Thato Segale, lost his life due to a fall of ground related incident which occurred on Thursday, 18 October 2018 at the Company’s Dishaba Mine in Amandelbult. Our deepest condolences go to his family, friends and colleagues. An independent and comprehensive investigation is under way to understand the circumstances and learn from them to create a safer work environment for all, and the Company is providing support and assistance to all involved. Anglo American Platinum remains committed to the elimination of fatalities.
The Total Recordable Case Frequency Rate (“TRCFR”) per million hours at managed operations for the quarter was 2.99, an 11% improvement compared to 3.36 in Q4 2017.
Total PGM production increased to 1,256,900 ounces, up 3% (Q4 2017: 1,220,000 ounces), due to improved operational performances across the majority of the portfolio. Platinum production increased by 3% to 602,300 ounces (Q4 2017: 587,000 ounces) and palladium production increased by 3% to 386,600 ounces (Q4 2017: 374,900 ounces).